As I described in my last post, I'm having symptoms in my hands and wrists preventing me from doing much jewelry making at the moment.  Carpal tunnel is confirmed in both hands along with two pinched nerves in my neck.  Yesterday's physical made me slightly less optimistic since my doctor reminded me that I had bone spurs identified in my neck in 2008, so the next step is an MRI to determine if they've become a factor.  I also have a Cleveland Clinic appointment on Jan 4.

I would not be pleased if I were told to switch professions, I can tell you that.

So on to an interesting cosmic question... recently I entered a drawing for 38 jewelry-making books by Lark Books.  It was just on a whim (since I never win anything) after seeing a link posted by Teresa Masters (wonderful facebook friend and admin of metalsmith.co)  There were 865 entries and I WON.   Here is the evidence -- received yesterday:
So the romantic in me wants to think these came as a message -- don't worry, keep the faith, this is just a little bump in the road and jewelry creation is still my future.

Silly? Coincidence?  Cosmic something or other?  What do you think?

Comments

12/23/2011 2:17pm

Sue, I'm sending you some good wishes and praying for a good prognosis. Does the hammering aggravate your carpal tunnel? It doesn't mine, although I don't do as much work as you. I did have surgery in my right wrist a few years ago that helped a lot. I wore braces at night for years, plus I take anti-inflammatories.

And congrats on your win! I'm going with the cosmos knowing what it's doing.

12/23/2011 11:59pm

I'm not completely sure how hammering affects the carpal tunnel. I was doing so much of everything for all the recent shows, and for long hours, even after some of the worst symptoms appeared. Now occasional hammering doesn't seem to make it worse, but filing does, and serious wire-wrapping / coiling definitely makes it worse. I do take an anti-inflamatory but will be starting a new one shortly. I'm very curious about the surgery and will consider it if other things don't do the trick. Thanks for the good wishes, I can definitely use them!

12/23/2011 2:19pm

Sue,
Wow, Santa arrived a bit early, but then, the load was so heavy he needed to give the Reindeer a break.
I am so happy for you, believe me, the road ahead will be wonderful. Look at all the reading and studying while you are healing. Perfect beginning to the next positive phase of your life.
Believe me, it will all be well.
Hugs,
Terrie

12/24/2011 12:02am

It's so good to hear from you, Terrie. You have a lot of good mojo and I appreciate you sending some of it my way :-) I like the perspective of looking forward to the next positive phase of my life. Hugs back!
Sue

12/23/2011 2:28pm

Hi Sue, sounds like you have some time to focus on design. You can always work on making your designs when you've healed up :) Congrats on the win!

12/24/2011 12:05am

Hi Kristin, definitely a good way to look at this... time to focus on design. I have always been so NOT a premeditated designer. I think you're right, I will start a sketch book and work on drawings. Then next time I hit a dry spell I'll know just where to get my creativity flowing again. Thanks!!

The Wristbandit
12/23/2011 3:07pm

This is a good sign,the gods are with you.

12/24/2011 12:07am

Hi Sharon, thanks for the vote of confidence! :0)

12/23/2011 10:57pm

Wow- what a great prize! I say something / someone is listening and acknowledging! (I stopped by as a result of your fold forming posts on FB - nice work!)

12/24/2011 12:09am

Hi Barb, so glad you stopped by from the fold forming page. Thanks for the compliment and YES wow, what a great prize! I hope you're right about someone listening, and I'll try to make the most of it. :-)

noreen
12/28/2011 9:39am

hi sue,

i am putting my money on the doctor's. they will figure figure out how to heal your hands and nerve problems. maybe with the help of a little B-6,my mom "who is not a doctor"said i should tell you :)

great news on your winning the books. looks like a sign to me :)

noreen

noreen
12/28/2011 9:39am

hi sue,

great news on your winning the books. looks like a sign to me :)

noreen

noreen
12/28/2011 9:39am

hi sue,

great news on your winning the books. looks like a sign to me :)

noreen

01/02/2012 2:15pm

Hi Noreen,
Thanks for the encouragement and the tip about the B6. I'll give it a try!
Sue